Saturday, June 30, 2012

Hills of Helotes

Another training session under our belts! Friday afternoon saw Dylan and I geared up to hike the hills in Helotes. Forecast was slightly overcast that day, with a breeze which provided major relief but temperature was still around 100. Dylan is the better of the two of us and wears long sleeves, regardless of how hot it is outside. I, on the other hand, after about 5 minutes of seriously sweating and drenching my clothes say "Forget this." Don't worry! I put sunscreen on. :)




Average distance for a good training session is slightly more or less than 5 miles. In all honesty, the camera does NOT show how steep these hills are. Some of them are easily 50% gradient. The hard part too, is NOT going up!!! Seriously! The hard part is going down because the hill is so steep that your body is at a weird angle the entire time, trying to find some kind of balance with pack, boots etc. Dylan and I are always soo glad to be down the hill!!

Scenery was gorgeous, which made the many, many hills we went up and down easier to do. Key to the hike is to drink lots of water! I always "double-fist it", as Dylan likes to call it and finish 2 water bottles by the time we are through, with one of them being a SOBE or VITAMIN water in order to give me a boost of B12 and electrolytes. Recovery includes a good meal full of energy and fuel, along with plenty more water and good nights rest and then I promise, you are ready to go the next day. :)

We only did a small portion of the neighborhood on Friday, so we will be back!

No comments:

Post a Comment