Sunday, September 30, 2012

Magnolia Pancake Haus

This restaurant called the Magnolia Pancake Haus opened off Huebner back in April or May, and people in San Antonio just went nuts over this place. It is only open for breakfast and lunch, but is more known for its' breakfast food.

Now, Dylan and I are all about trying new restaurants, but, not going to lie, I am a little bit of a breakfast food snob. I do not generally like to go out to eat breakfast because down in San Anton, we have neither Jimmy's Egg nor the Waffle House. Both are serious kick butt breakfast places. Omelets at Jimmy's Egg are just amazing, along with super good hash browns, toast, biscuits, etc. You get the idea! And Waffle House...Pecan Belgian Waffle... need I say more?!

However, today, September 30th, Dylan and I felt the serious urge for good breakfast food and made a trip to the Haus. The smells coming from the building before we even opened the door were mouth-watering. Crisp bacon, buttermilk pancakes and waffles, powdered sugar and syrup etc. Way too many choices on the menu, but I opted for a bacon/cheddar omelet, which was a solid equal to Jimmy's Egg. Hash browns were nice combo of sweet and savory, different from Jimmy's Egg but almost better because of that.

Dylan decides to go for the ultimate special. And here it is...

The authentic Bavarian breakfast dish called The APFEL PFANNEKUCHEN. 

It was UNBELIEVABLY good. So good my words will not do this dish justice. It is a combination of apples, cinnamon, brown sugar, pastry dough and European whipped cream. The dough was soft in middle with apples and crispy on outside from brown sugar. It was super super sweet, but the European cream is very savory, so it mellows out the taste. Now, I have been many places in my short 26 years and have tasted many different dishes but I have to say this is in the Top 5 Best Things I have ever eaten. It even beats out the chocolate-filled croissants of Paris I just adore and the Strawberry Cheesecake from Carmichael's Deli in NYC. 

Big question, I know: Did we finish it??!! Ahhhh, no. Now, Dylan and I together could have finished it and two years ago, probably would have. But dad gum we are such health nuts now we could not do it. We ate over half and then stopped so we would not be sick, plus we had to eat the omelet and hash browns too! :)

Bottom line, if you have one of these places in your area, you need to go try it out! Once in your life, you should indulge in this dish and live it up like the Bavarians do!!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment