Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Keep on tryin' till I reach my highest ground

"God is gonna show you higher ground" -Stevie Wonder

About a year ago, Dylan discovered a new hobby very popular in South Texas area: Climbing. As usual, he spends countless hours researching techniques, watching videos on-line and practicing roping techniques at the house. We were fortunate enough to have him win a random outdoor contest in December, giving him oodles of  free climbing gear which is a good thing because this stuff is expensive!


So many people climb down here that he could basically go anytime he wanted but for the past few months a solid group of guys from dental school have been climbing on Sundays. I went once or twice, and I can climb. I just don't enjoy it. It really tears up your fingers, but more importantly, I think it's more of a guy thing. Begs the question of "am I enough of a man to get all the way up that wall just by my sheer brute strength?" Little too Neanderthal for me- hehe! It is also very technical and requires you to visualize the route you want to climb. Good spatial skills are a must and well, I lack those in large quantities! Dylan loves it though and that is all that matters! 

Here are some pictures of Dylan and his periodontist friend Greg climbing at Medicine Wall off east 1604 and Stone Oak area. (Greg's brother John took the pictures)



Drs. Greg and Dylan


Why so serious?! 



I don't think Dylan has enough gear on... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment