Sunday, July 21, 2013

Traveling Overseas.....

As Dylan and I are about to embark on yet another European journey, I could not help but think today about all of the cherished memories I have from previous trips abroad. My first trip across the pond was in high school with Mom, Dad and Beefy, and I have since had the privilege of taking high school students, their parents and Dylan to Europe. 

 
I remember being ecstatic to see the Moulin Rouge windmill because the movie with Ewan McGregor and Nicole Kidman had either just come out and I was obsessed. 
I remember the drive out to Caen and the Normandy beaches because our hired driver played the same Blondie cassette tape the entire 2 1/2 hours out to the site, And! He played the entire thing again the whole way back to Paris. (I think it was his only English-speaking tape) I don't dislike Blondie, but I remember thinking that if I heard another Blondie song anytime soon after that ride, I might poke my eyeballs out. To this day, I cannot hear any of her songs without thinking of that French taxi ride. I also remember the beaches and cemetery were freezing!!!! The wind took your break away as you stood atop the cliff, looking down on the beaches and fake American harbor below. 

I remember the utter horror and desolateness of Dachau Concentration Camp in Germany. I remember none of us speaking to each other or other people the entire 2 hours we were there. I remember crying the entire time. I remembered the horror at realizing the town of Munich was only 10 minutes away, yet no one did anything during the War. 

This is the "Mouth of Truth" in Rome, Italy. Legend says to stick your hand inside the mouth and then have a close friend ask you a question. If you lie, the mouth will bite your hand off. If you tell the truth, nothing happens. I remember very clearly how my Dad choose to scare me from behind by grabbing me and making some stupid noise. I screamed and pulled my hand away, thinking I had been bitten. In hindsight, I realize I was never asked a question, but at the time, I was scared spitless and infuriated at my dad. 

I remember eating Italian-style pizza in front of the Pantheon and feeling like a local. The weather was gorgeous! And I remember this because every other city we went too, it had either rained on us or been cold!! Rome was warm and beautiful! 

I remember the "adult" conversation we all had with my brother at the entrance to the Red Light District in Amsterdam, Holland. I also remember my brother turning the corner here, telling everyone as loud as he could "There were naked ladies in the windows!!" Hahahahahahaha!!! Too funny! 
My first experience eating "Foie Gras" or Duck Liver... Now, I try anything while in Europe. In this case, TRY was the operative word... ugh! 

The Eiffel Tower is beautiful.. period. I have seen this tower at least 5 times now, and she never gets old. This view is from the River Seine and is one of my favorites. She is impressive during the day, but at night, she glistens  and glows. 

Vienna, Austria, was exquisite Baroque churches and yummy, yummy food!!! Dylan and I seriously had some of the best food of our lives in this town. Below is the Demel Bakery (Dylan's relatives many people down the line started it!). I know we went back at least 3 different times to try more and more pastries. Ironically, we had some of the best Lebanese/Mediterranean food here too. 


Newschwanstein Castle in Fussen, Germany, is LEGIT! Seriously the best castle ever! I mean, if were to build a castle, I would put it on the top of a mountain too. I remember coming here with my parents because we had this taxi drive us on the Autobahn to get here from Munich, and I thought we were going to die because the man drove 120 miles an hour, at least! Plus, there were no seatbelts in the BMW either!!! Dylan and I were much smarter and went by train!! 

I twirled and sang the whole theme to "Sound of Music" high atop the Swiss Alps in Lauderbrunnen, Switzerland. Seriously one of the best moments of my life!!! 

Dragging luggage all over Italy and all over France with the kids... oy vey!!! Trains, buses, planes- you name it! 

Pompeii, Italy, with the whole Marshall crew! It was hot and they were such troopers! The place was also filled with tons of sexual references, both visual and written, and I have to say, they behaved as best as 17 year old students can around that stuff!!! :) 

 Looking forward to adding more memories with another set of kiddos, parents and friends as we embark on our European Vacay to England and France! 


No comments:

Post a Comment