Thursday, November 29, 2012

Every mountain top is within reach.... if you just keep climbing

"Long, blue, spikey-edged shadows crept across the snow-fields, while a rosy glow, at first scarce discernible, gradually deepened and suffused every mountain-top, flushing the glaciers and the harsh crags above them. 

This was the alpenglow, to me the most impressive of all the terrestrial manifestations of God. At the thought of this divine light, the mountains seemed to kindle to a rapt, religious consciousness, and stood hushed like devout worshippers waiting to be blessed."
-John Muir-


Bright, chilly morning of 26 degrees at 7 a.m. as we began our trek across Ski Apache to reach the summit of Sierra Blanca, "The White Mountain," the tallest mountain in the Lincoln National Forest of the Mescalero Indian Reservation and southern New Mexico.


Snow was scarce the first mile through the meadow. Once we passed into the forest though, the snow was a good 3 or 4 inches deep. Thankfully, we were starting early so the snow was still nice and packed, which meant no sinking. Conditions were great! The weather warmed up as the sun got higher in the sky, and we were so thankful to not have any wind until we were directly on the summit. It made for a beautiful climb.




  "And if these mountains had eyes, they would wake to find two strangers in their fences, standing in admiration as a breathing red pours its' tinge upon the earth. These mountains, which have seen untold sunrises... stand reverent, silent so that man's weak praise should be given God's attention."
-Donald Miller-


We were having a truly spectacular morning until this view came into sight. Dylan and I had been hiking for about 3 miles or so at this point. We were nice and warmed up, legs were feeling good, no altitude problems... loving life at this moment. However, the ridge put a damper on things. From the trip report and the pictures on-line, this ridge is not well marked, nor is it very visible. Yeah, not good...


The closer we hiked, the more Dylan and I realized how steep this ridge was. Now, I conquered Mt. Sneffels, so I figured I could do another ridge. A ridge... with snow and ice however, is a COMPLETELY different story. Where there should be nice, solid rock for you to grab on, there is a thick layer of ice and snow. You grab hold of rocks and gravel you can barely see through the snow and ice blindly, praying you get a good enough hold with your hands and that your gloves hold up through the icy cold of the snow. Praying that your feet find decent enough purchase on the ground below that will hold you as you reach for something you cannot see but know is there.


After reaching the summit of this first ridge, I was seriously considering turning back around. I had not fallen yet, but was envisioning myself loosing purchase and sliding to my doom down the mountainside. Dylan sat down with me as I had another internal war with myself. But, we pressed on.

 I always, always want to quit, but never do. If I am honest with myself, the thought of not being able to reach the top with Dylan is unbearable. There is great need to be right there beside him... to not be left behind on these things, which I think will never go away and always make me press on, even when I am shaking in my boots and barely holding myself together on top of these mountains. Don't know what that says about me, but it is the truth.


That entire ridge, which looks like the scales on the back of a lizard, we did. Dylan says the ridge involved Class 3 climbing moves, and in all honesty, I have no clue what that means, other than the moves were/are difficult. Dylan had to kick footholds in the snow for me to make it up because I could not reach nor make the moves between the rocks without another step in between. I felt so bad the entire time he was doing that because it was so much extra work for him, using up his own energy to make sure I was safe and felt as comfortable as one can on top of a 12,000 foot mountain.

I had one breakdown before we made it to the top. Kudos to me! I had about 4 or 5 on the last mountain. Progress!

12, 003 ft atop Sierra Blanca



Ruidoso Downs, Ski Apache, Lincoln National Forest, Cloud Croft all in view...

We made it back down all in one piece! (2 breakdowns total for me and only 1 fall) After reaching the bottom of all the ridges, Dylan and I both agreed we were NOT doing another ridge mountain in the snow. Even Dylan agreed some of the moves were too risky without being strapped in or minus snow. The trek down is always a beast because you are more tired than you think. Plus, the ridge took more energy than normal so the 4 and 1/2 miles back was rough. It was a beautiful day though; perfect for an 8-9 mile hike, giving us both another mountain under our belts.

 "The mountain has left me feeling renewed, more content and positive than I've been for weeks, as if something has been given back after a long absence, as if my eyes have opened once again. For this time at least, I've let myself be rooted in the unshakeable sanity of the senses, spared my mind the burden of too much thinking, turned myself outward to experience the world and inward to savor the pleasures it has given me."
-Richard Nelson-















No comments:

Post a Comment