Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Thanks for everything...

"We never know which lives we influence, or when or why."
-Stephen King-

I will forever remember the men and women in my life who taught me the joys of learning, who taught me how to earn my accomplishments, who taught me the satisfaction of a job well done, who taught me the tough moments are there for a reason so embrace them; they forge your future. I remember those individuals who showed me the world, even if it was from inside a classroom. I remember those teachers who taught me to always learn something new; the mind is a wonderful thing and must be continually challenged. I remember those moments in class, which at the time I did not know, but those moments planted the seed for teaching inside of me. I remember those teachers who taught me there is no greater joy than to explain something to someone and have their eyes light up with understanding and interest; to know you have changed some small portion of someone for the better. Most importantly, you have chosen to teach not for your own personal gain but because you know each individual out there deserves to enjoy the world... the whole wide world, just as much as you do. 

We should be thankful every month, but November is truly a month to reflect on those people you are most thankful for. I am thankful for Mrs. Wicker (1st grade), Mrs. Bauman (5th grade), Mr. Arbuckle (6th grade), Coach Williams (7th-8th grade), Mrs Rice (AP), Mrs. Hartman (AP), Mrs. Mosteller (AP), Dr. Bailey (college), Newspaper/Journalism editor Mrs. McGill, Coach Suz and Coach Randy (tennis), Miss Diane (piano) and Mr. Poos (self-defense, among many many other things). There are many more, but these individuals stand out in my mind. I strive to remember your lessons, advice and encouragement on a daily basis. I strive to be the person each one of you saw in little Megan, way back when. 

Today, I was gifted with a letter from a young student who found herself a stronger person after having had my AP class. Here is what she said:

"Mrs. Carey, 
      Your AP World History class has been my favorite of all four years of high school. Thank you. In all honesty, you gave a lot of work, and quizzes, and tests, and timed writing essays, and lectures and chapter readings, but I am a better person for them. The first day I was so surprised that such a large volume of voice could come from such a small person! But you quickly became my all-time favorite teacher... I still remember the Aztec culture, and how they sacrificed blood to their gods. I remember the Roman Empire and their technological advances. I remember the Chinese dynasties and how they never were pronounced the way they looked. I loved the way you taught; you were so into it and intense when you wanted us to remember something really important. Thank you for helping me pass the AP exam. Thank you for everything.
                            -Your Student"

I had a nice, sweet cry over this letter, such a precious gift. I pray these students have people in their lives who see deep down into the amazing person each one of them can be, just as I did. What a responsibility we all have... Thank you November for giving me the opportunity to look back with fond memories on my own teachers, and to become one of those in the present day.

No comments:

Post a Comment