Thursday, March 28, 2013

CONFESSION....

The donut is one of the most A-mazing food creations ever invented... period! Deep down inside, I absolutely LOVE donuts. I realize they have almost zero substanence to them; they are mostly just puffed dough, sugar and icing, but I mean Come On! What is not to like about that.. seriously?!


So what prompts me to write about this you say? Well, today was our "Friday" of the week at work because we get a holiday for Good Friday- South Texas, hard core Catholic country. And someone brought donuts today and left them in the break room for people to have. Now, normally I resist the power of the donut.... Resist you say, after I have just proclaimed my absolute love for the food??!! Yes, I do. Over the years I have honed this amazing Will Power, specifically for food. When I really want and need to, I can ignore just about any wonderful junk food, sweet or carb I really should not eat. HOWEVER, today... was not one of those days.

Perhaps it was because I have been doing Boot Camp via trainer Dr. Dylan Carey for 2 weeks now and running on average 5.5 miles 3 times a week, so I'm feeling good about myself. Maybe it was because the "skinny jeans" were actually loose today. Maybe it was because I have a 3-day weekend. Maybe it was because I had 120 out of 135 students sign up for my AP exam, we finished the book and I have a full 5 weeks of review!!! Maybe because... I just wanted a dang donut!

Donuts... ah! One of my favorite memories from growing up was at the donut shop. My brother and I played piano while growing up (I played all the way through high school... he quit much earlier on) but we had to take lessons during the summer. My mother always signed us up for the Monday morning lesson at like 7:30 am or some VERY EARLY time for the summer!! The bribe was after our 30 minute lessons, we could go have donuts for breakfast. When you are young, bribes like that work very well. So for around 6 weeks during the summer, every Monday morning we splurged and had donuts for breakfast. I remember spending forever picking out the donuts we wanted- it was such an agonizing decision because they ALL LOOKED GOOD! Donut holes were a must- we always bought a dozen of those, regardless of what else we all 3 got. Now, this was just with my mother, which makes the memory more special. We used to talk about randomness and silly stuff. I don't remember the specifics, just that Monday morning donuts during the summer were the ultimate. When my brother was little, he was such a hoot! Super funny and silly, so I'm sure we spent the entire time laughing at his antics. :) Plus, my dad is not a huge donut fan and this was not something he ever brought home (he is more a bagel guy), so donuts remind me strictly of my mom and my brother being little. He always, always wanted a sprinkle donut... and just ate the sprinkles off the top. hahahaha!



Longjohns are also good...another favorite of my brothers. The Bear Claw.. always a good choice. Nuts are always welcome on any food in my book too, so we ate those kinds quite often. The only kind we all passed on was the jelly-filled ones. Those don't really do anything for us. Also, we did NOT frequent Krispy Kremes once they opened. I draw the line there... those kinds, I refuse to eat. You have to stay tried and true to the ultimate donut, not this strange liquidy confection. I also learned to appreciate a good Diet Dr. Pepper on these outings too. Never have been a big milk fan, so my mother and I used to split a Diet Dr. Pepper (until I was in high school, this was only time I was allowed to drink one and of course, you get hooked!) To this day, my favorite soda is a Diet Dr Pepper and it is another one of my vices for yet another blog. :)

 Getting back to today, Thursday 2013, I perused the box and made my choice. Now, my all-time favorite donut is the chocolate old-fashioned, with the glazed running a close second. Specifically the ones from Day-Light Donuts in Edmond, OK. Today, I could have cared less where the donut was from but if I have to talk about my favorite, old-fashioned all the way!! There is just something about the consistency of the dough that makes these different from regular donuts. And the way the chocolate melts and conforms to the donut.. AH! PERFECTION!


This was not an option today, but no matter. I had some round, glazed donut with a hint of chocolate in the middle and IT. WAS. GOOD. I sat there in the break room savouring the donut and realized one of the other teachers in my department was staring open-mouthed at me as I ate the donut. I started to get self-conscious, thinking I was smearing chocolate everywhere or had icing all over my mouth. I quietly asked her what was wrong with my face and she replied... " Never in 5 years have I ever seen you eat junk food here at work! I'm just surprised and shocked! I'm staring, I know and I apologize, but I just thought you did not eat things like that."

WHOA! I... never eat junk food!!! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Yeah, that is a good one. If it was humanly possible and there would not be ENORMOUS repurcussions to my eating junk food every day, I soo would. BUT, that is not how the human body works and I know this. So junk food indulgences happen few and far between. But as I start to reply in this manner, I realize I don't eat like this at work.... ever. Simply because there are always sweets and goodies in our break room and I am afraid that once I stop, I'm not going to be able to stop. :) So instead, I smiled and informed her that I rarely indulge, but when I do, I like it to be the real thing and enjoy every last bite of it. And today, I wanted a donut. I think she still was shocked, even after I explained the reasoning behind it- no matter! The donut made my day and sent me down memory lane with a big smile on my face as I remembered the good times donuts had brought me growing up.  


Never ever minimalize the power food has!! Regardless of what food it is! I owe wonderful memories to the donut!! Eating one makes me feel like I'm 10 years old again, sitting in the chair swinging my legs around because they don't touch the ground while listening to my mom and brother talk about whatever with sticky fingers and a happy tummy! You know you are jealous of my awesome memory!! :)

So indulge and live a little... one little donut, even two little donuts are not going to kill you or break the calorie bank. I know this now... has taken me oh so many years to be okay with this statement and accept it as truth, but it is truth! So as you salivate over the donuts or whatever food it is that you want at the moment because my donut craving has induced your own secred food craving, I leave you with the words of Homer Simpson...
 
"Donuts... Is there anything they can't do?!"

No comments:

Post a Comment