Saturday, March 2, 2013

And here's to you Mrs. Robinson...

Enjoy the pleasure of listening to AJ Swearingen and Jonathan Beedle as they perform snippets of their show "Tribute to the Sounds of Simon and Garfunkel."

Dylan and I were offered tickets by a good climbing buddy of Dylan's, (Thanks Roger and Marta!) and we jumped on the chance to hear anything by Simon and Gafunkel. These guys are a huge part of my musical history. I have vivid and pleasurable memories of my father playing their music as we drove around in the car when I was young. He even bought their greatest hits CD and had me listen to them. They have always been a favorite duo of mine, so I was beyond excited to attend this session last night at Trinity University Theater. 

We were not disappointed!! These two men were accompanied by the SA Symphony Pops. Let me tell ya, our symphony rocks! They did a fabulous job by themselves, playing tributes to the Everly Brothers (yes, I know who they are too, thanks to my dad! My favs of theirs are Dream, Dream, Dream and Bye, Bye Love) and a "Na Na Na Medly", which was a play on popular 60s songs with the chorus of "Na Na Na", such as 1000 Dances, Kiss him Goodbye and Hey Jude. That one was way fun because they audience was allowed to sing along for those songs. :) 

The bulk of the show was listening to those two men sing many hits of S and G, such as Homeward Bound (love!), 59th Street Bridge Song (how can you not like to Feel Groovy?!), I am a Rock, Cecilia, Hazy Shade of Winter- all of these are such classic S and G!, Dangling Conversation, America, Scarborough Fair, Old Friends/Bookends, Bridge Over Troubled Water and Mrs. Robinson. They sounded so much like them it was chilling. Sometimes they played acoustic, while other songs the symphony accompanied them. The symphony was nice, but these guys were best acoustic. No joke, I had chills during Sound of Silence and was almost crying by the time they finished the song. They did the original version, which I did not know of, which only has guitar. No drums or bass. It was better than the radio version by far. The only song I was bummed they did not sing was "Only living boy in New York"- it is one of my favs! 

If you ever ever get the chance to hear these guys in person, please do! Even if you do not know Simon and Garfunkel that well. You will not be disappointed. :) Dylan was not as familiar with the duo and he enjoyed the concert immensely. So listen to the clip, close your eyes and take a trip back in time when music was just music: voice, guitar and drums. Talent was appreciated; voices were pure and un-distorted and the melodies crept deep down into your soul and your bones, staying with you for a lifetime. 

"Home, where my thoughts escaping. Home, where my music's playing. Home, where my love lies waiting silently for me..."

No comments:

Post a Comment