Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Let's Rodeo San Antonio!


Dylan and I spent last Saturday night at the San Antonio Rodeo (something we have not done since living here... sad, I know. It is like the Spurs game; not really our thing, but something that needed to be experienced.) We ended up going on the last night of the rodeo, which was not a good idea if you wanted to see the livestock (goats, chickens, pigs, cows, etc) because they were already herded up in their trailers. That was okay though- livestock smells so very bad and I don't really care for any of those animals anyways. I enjoy eating them all too much, minus the goat, so it would have been awkward looking at them thinking about how many of their buddies I have eaten in my lifetime. Hehe! 


Dylan had NEVER, EVER been on the Ferris Wheel. This... was a problem. When we arrived at the Carnival section, I mentioned riding on the Ferris Wheel was one of my favorite things to do at fairs and such. He laughed, thinking I meant the Merry-Go-Round. Uh, NO! I pointed towards the Ferris Wheel, and then Dylan surprised the heck out of me by saying he did not want to ride it. He said it was too tall and dangerous... My husband, who climbs 140,000 ft. mountains, rock climbs every weekend and seriously has no fear, thought the Ferris Wheel was dangerous. 

LAMO!!! I badgered him to go by tickets, thinking he was just messing with me because I generally am not a huge fan of heights. We rode the Ferris Wheel, had a fun view of the Rodeo grounds and Dylan survived. His reasoning behind the "deathly" ride is you are stuck in the cart and cannot go anywhere if the ride breaks down. He wanted to know what kind of metal held the ride together.... PULEAHSE! I still think he was just messing with me.... 


We had enough tickets left over for one ride. While riding the Ferris Wheel, we saw all of these people Drag Racing, unanimous vote- we were going Drag Racing. Now, this drag racing was done sitting on these pillow/towel like rugs and sliding on our booties down this long, colorful chute. Dylan won, of course! I blame it on my purse- I had to somehow wedge it in between my feet and I'm sure that slowed me down because I carry so much stuff in there. Hahaha! In my dreams right?!  But, I have to be prepared for something either myself, Dylan or Goobz needs on a daily basis. Hence, the big bag. In hindsight I should have switched purses, but oh well. 


Dylan did a happy dance and had an absolute fit when we saw this dune buggy. He was already planning on how he could build this replica one day and what all he would use it for. This is sooo not happening for a very long time, but a guy can dream right?! 

The evening was great fun! Dylan and I had a blast remembering good times growing up: Dylan visiting the Lubbock Rodeo and theme park, myself visiting the OKC Fair and Frontier City. We enjoyed the smells of carny food, but did not partake. We are smarter and wiser now- that kind of food would not sit well the next day and neither of us are prepared to be miserable like that. When you are young, eh, no biggie. Now, at the tender age of 26, hehe! We know better. :) We laughed, watching all of those people trying to knock the bottles over and win ginormous stuffed animals that let's be real, nobody really needs in their life. Talked about the rides we used to ride and think were soo scary or so legit: The Himalaya, Pirate Ship Ride, Flying Swings etc. Makes you smile just thinking about it all, huh?! 

Happy Rodeo, Fair and whatever kind of carnival your city enjoys! :)

2 comments:

  1. The nearest 140,000 peaks are on Jupiter. I have never been! I look forward to talking to Dylan about this! Sounds like fun ... and dangerous too! ... but Danger is his middle name! ... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha! Yeah, I made a major typo on this one! Should be 14,000... Math was never my strong suit!! ;)

    ReplyDelete