Friday, February 8, 2013

Stay tuned for the Jerry Springer Show....

The last time we tuned in, Mrs. Carey, with the help of other teachers and staff, spent her off period running around after a delinquent who wanted his jewelry back from the ex- girlfriend who refused to give it back because "it meant something." 50 minutes later, the jewelry was returned with the girl crying and the young man being carted off to jail because he was 19 and had threatened her and punched a bathroom stall (he broke his pinky finger btw). Lesson learned.

Most of the time when these crazy events happen, which sadly are becoming more frequent where I work, they are few and far between. You go home that night, shaking your head in bewilderment and amazement at the truly crazy things young people will do these days. But, you sleep it off and go back to class the next morning, realizing it is a brand new day and surely things can only get better. Or at least, you think so.....

The very next day, I sat down to lunch during my off period, thinking that with the crazy debacle of yesterday, today would be quiet. Oh, how very wrong I was. Once again, not 10 minutes into the class period, I hear "Get your hands off me! I'm going to call an administrator and tell them you hit me and then I'm going to call my mom and she is going to sue your ass!" 

What. The. French!! Here we go again!! I sigh, hugely this time, and leave my interrupted lunch on the desk with this sinking feeling I'm not going to eat it again. I walk into the hallway and in front of the classroom right next to me stands the substitute teacher and a young girl about to come to blows with each other.  Both of them are yelling in each other's faces, but all I can hear is the young girl screaming about an administrator and suing people. My first thought was I have suddenly found myself transported to an episode on the Jerry Springer Show. Normal people, like me, DO NOT see things like this in real life. And I stand dumb-founded in amazement as I watch an adult, grown woman yell at a student, sounding just like a student, if not worse. The shock lasts for oh like .5 seconds and then I spring into action. I got in the middle of the two, firmly pushing the substitute teacher back into the classroom and pointing towards the young girl to stand down at the end of the hallway (I am NOT touching this young girl because she is already threatening to sue one person for touching her; I WILL NOT be added to the list). Both of them continued to yell at each other over my head, so I said what any sane person would tell these 2 crazy girls: "SHUT. UP. I DON'T CARE WHO DID WHAT, JUST SHUT UP!" 

And it worked- thank goodness. Oh the screeching and hollering and caterwhalling! It will drive you nuts!! By this time, other teachers are out in the hallway because of the yelling. Both have once again pressed the button to call for an administrator. Both the substitute and the young girl are trying to get to see each other again and start messing with each other so I continually have to remind both of them of my earlier statement. 2 very, very different stories came from both the young girl and the substitute, btw. I'm standing here thinking what a freaking nightmare this is going to be and feeling oh so glad this is not my problem. 

Well, another 10 minutes or so later, an Admin and cop finally get down to the room. They BOTH then elect to talk with the substitute and other students in class first and then ask if I will take the young girl up to the office and sit with her until one of them gets back. WHAT?! HOW HAS THIS SUDDENLY BECOME MY PROBLEM, DURING MY OFF PERIOD?? AGAIN?? But, being the dutiful person I am, I take her up. We get into one of the Admin's office and she immediately calls her mother, claiming the sub abused her, beat her etc. The mother gets on speaker phone and wants her daughter to be checked over by the nurse and have photos taken of all the bruises for documentation. The substitute was my height and easily 15 pounds less than me- tiny. You do the math on that one... Then the mother demands a conference with our principal, the campus police, the city police and the admins who are dealing with this case. She will be bringing her lawyer. O.M.G. I walk the girl over to the nurse and leave her to get her "bruises" checked out. Then I sit in the admin's office to make my statement and hopefully be released to go back to class, as the bell has already rung for my next period and I have students waiting on me. 

I leave, finally, with no solution being reached other than the incident now belongs to our head principal. Oh how very sorry I feel for him in this instance and do not envy the conference he will deal with after school. Now, for those of you wondering, I did manage not to eat any Girl Scout cookies today, so hurrah for my will power! Not quite sure what all went down, but I do know there will be no suing and the young girl came back to class like nothing had happened.

To finish out the week, our "gangs" almost came to blows that afternoon, but got broken up. So they just decided to postpone it a day, and proceeded to fight each other across the street from campus, in front of a coffee shop. Sounds dumb huh, not really. The campus police cannot touch the students on the opposite side of the street, so the "gangs" know the actual police will have to be called to deal with them. Longer response time, more opportunities to beat the crap out of each other. This, I had nothing to do with!!! Whew! 

Springer show or correctional facility... I'm torn between which one fits the bill- I'll leave that one up to you guys! 

Have a great, non-drama filled weekend! :)






No comments:

Post a Comment