Sunday, March 17, 2013

Teaching: awaken joy in creative expression and knowledge

March is the month of war, according to the ancient Roman calendar, which is ironically appropriate because in March, I teach both WW I and WW II.

It is one of the busiest months of my year because there is just so much interesting information to cover and I never, ever have enough time to explain it all. In the past, before the lovely STARR/EOC test came around and ruined our lives, I had time to let the students complete all kinds of propaganda projects  using this information. This year, I cannot do any of those things and am super bummed about it. To console myself, I decorated my room a few days before we left for Spring Break with all the favorites I had kept from my kiddos in the past...

Poem 1 Trench Warfare WW I: "Fumes are seeping slowly. They move across the floor as people collapse one by one. My eyes see blood and gore. We hide inside the trenches. We don't know what's in store. The gun shots get much closer. I hate the sound of war. Bodies scattered near us, rats and roaches pass. All we see is mud and blood. I miss the smell of grass. Fighting for our country, saving others' lives. God I miss my family, my children and my wife. When the war is over, that'll be the day. Until then, I lift my hands into the air and pray." 

Propaganda Posters from WW I and WW II:


Bottom left: great drawing of Superman for WW II.
2nd from right on bottom: exceptional drawing of Hitler's Cult of Personality
Bottom Right: one of my favs!

Bottom left: cute play on words with "Stalin"
Top left: love the colors on the snake poster



Love the "Bleeding our resources" poster.. even if they did spell it wrong.

Details on these are just amazing!! All free-hand too!

This one is my absolute favorite- I have had this one for 6 years now. It was done by my very first group of kiddos... love, love it! :)


"A good teacher can... ignite the imagination and instill a love of learning."
- Brad Henry-


No comments:

Post a Comment