Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Life is like a box of chocolates....

You never know what you're gonna get....

 
 
 
For the past 5 years now, I have been showing the movie FORREST GUMP at the end of each school year.... for many reasons. (Don't worry! Parents sign a permission form and I fastforward through the few unnecessary parts... I am a teacher after all.)
 
 
1. I absolutely love Sally Field's determination as Forrest's "Momma" to not let him get behind in anything he does in life. We should all be so lucky to have a momma who fights for us every step of the way like she does. We should all be so lucky to have a momma who thinks we are absolutely wonderful, 24/7. As women, we should all hope to be like her as a momma one day!
 
2.The style of music and dancing has changed so much, most of my students do not understand why Elvis, his music and dancing were so inappropriate back in the 50s and 60s. I always have to explain that one...
 
3. I love that Forrest remembers only Jenny from his childhood. He forgets the horrible things the other boys and girls do to him and remembers only the good. A lesson for us all, no matter our age.
 
4. I love, love, love Tom Hanks!!! He is phenomenal in whatever he does! Did I mention I love Tom Hanks?! Well, I do! He is cute/hunky in his own quirky way, and I just kind of want to marry him in this movie! Oh, and in YOU'VE GOT MAIL too. :)
 
5. I love Gump's unassuming attitude about everything! He may not understand, but he accepts everyone around him and everything for face value and for who they are. We should all be like that... giving everyone a chance to prove themselves, seeing only the good in each person we meet every day.
 
6. After Bubba talks about shrimp for 6 class periods a day, I always want shrimp that night for dinner! hehe! "There's uh shrimp pineapple, lemon shrimp, barbecue shrimp, shrimp kebobs, shrimp creole, shrimp bourbon, shrimp sandwich.... and I think that's it."
 
7. "Now Momma always said there's only so much fortune a man really needs, and the rest is just for showing off." AMEN to that Momma!!!
 
8. This line makes me laugh every time, and sadly, most of my kids don't get it. Forrest: I only caught 5.
Boatman: Couple more and you could have yourself a cocktail... hehe!
 
9. Dylan and I bonded over this movie in college. One of our first "date night" movies.
 
10. I walked down the aisle to the "Feather Theme" played at the beginning of the movie. I always feel all warm, fuzzy and beautiful inside every time I hear the movie start. :)
 
11. THE MUSIC IS SERIOUSLY LEGIT..... PERIOD. And! I understand all the lyrics now as an adult!! hehe!!! I grew up listening to all of these songs... just never really knew what I was singing until I got older. The Doors, Jimi Hendrix, Elvis, Land of 1000 Dances, CCR, Mammas and Pappas, Buffalo Springfield, Simon and Garfunkel, Byrds, 3 Dog Night, Supremes, Bob Seger, Fleetwood Mac, Jackson Browne, Tommy Jones and Shondells, KC and Sunshine Band.... just to name a few!!
 
12. I have watched the movie 6 times a day for 5 years in a row. It never gets old. I know every line, every scene, each piece of music etc. I can even almost tell you what the actors wear in each scene, but it still never gets old. The longer I teach, I find a larger percentage of students each year have never seen GUMP. I so enjoy watching and listening to their reactions from the movie.
 
13. I cry at the end of the movie when Forrest talks to Jenny.... every time. I will cry 6 class periods that day, no matter how many times I see it. Hanks' whole monologue is just beautiful... "I miss you Jenny. If you need anything at all, I'll be right here." *wipe tear from eye* And the symbolism with the birds at the end.... ah! Just beautiful!
 
14. Lt. Dan.... talk about a character who truly changes and grows throughout the movie. I love Gary Sinse as Lt. Dan. "Socks... cushion sole, green." "Get down! Shut up!" "They gave you the congressional medal of honor.." "Well Gilligan, I told you if you was ever a shrimpin' boat captain, I would be your first mate. But don't think I'll be callin you sir!" "Custom made... titanium alloy"
 
15. I always have a love-hate relationship with Jenny. I feel so sorry for her because of her past and the abuses she suffered, but she is just so mean to Forrest. Sometimes I just want to reach through the screen and smack her!! I had a student this year almost fall out of his chair when she leaves him and gives back his medal. This kiddo groaned out loud and just said "His soul could not take it" He was dead serious.... :)
 
16. The movie is a great way to tie World History and US History together. The kids have an assignment where they have to identify all major events, ideas and people Forrest encounters along the way. Some they know; others, like US events, we have to go over which is a great segue for AP US History next year.
 
There are so many other reasons, but I will stop there and leave you with one of my favorite quotes from the movie:
 
"You make your own destiny... You have to do the best with what God gave you..."

No comments:

Post a Comment