Sunday, August 18, 2013

Southwest Style Tortilla Soup


This meal is one of Dylan and I's favorites!! The above soup base/stock is the key for this meal. About 5 or 6 months ago, I happened upon this "Organic Pacific" brand in the soup aisle at HEB, and just fell in love! It is super healthy for you, which is very hard to come by with a soup base/soup stock. I use the whole carton to make our Southwest Style Tortilla Soup. (By the time I am finished with the soup, Dylan and I can get at least 2 nights worth of meals out of it.. sometimes 3!!)


Now, you can prepare the dish however you want. Sometimes I add chicken or beef as the main component. Today however, I added sweet potato. 1 medium to large sweet potato that I cut into cube sized pieces and then baked in the oven with a sprinkle of salt and pepper at 420 degrees for 25 minutes.

Never fear! You cannot taste the sweetness of the potato when you mix it in the soup!! It substitutes as the meat in this meal; a nice healthy, veggie alternative to meat!

I also add onion, black beans, carrots and spinach to the soup as well. All of that, including cooked potatoes, simmer on low heat for at least 20 to 30 minutes.

Once the soup is hot and steamy, I add a handful of Mrs. Dash Southwest Chipotle seasoning and Cumin. Dylan and I just love those Southwest flavors! Plus, we like our Mexican food to have a kick! The soup base has enough flavor by itself, so if you do not want to add extra spice, no worries!

Add whatever condiments on top that you desire! I added cooked jalapeno, Mexican cheddar cheese, pico and sour cream to ours. I warmed up tortillas in the skillet to sop up the soup also.
 
Hearty! Flavorful! Healthy! Makes multiple meals! Bon Appetite!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment